Thursday, February 3, 2011

Würzburg

Shortly after Brian and Catherine headed back to the States, Serge and I spent an amazing weekend in Würzburg, Germany. Würzburg is a beautiful Bavarian city situated on the Main River. There's a fortress, a palace, an old university, tons of beautiful churches, the river, awesome breweries and restaurants - so much to see and do! It is both Serge and my favorite place we've visited so far in Germany. We're already planning a return trip this summer!

Waiting on our train. 
Look how far I've come! Our first weekend trip I was lugging around a gigantic suitcase, and now all I need is this tiny little daypack! I'm a seasoned train traveler!

Würzburger Marktplatz mit Marienkapelle (the red church behind me) und Falkenhaus (the pretty yellow building)
View from the Alte Mainbrücke, Festung Marienberg in the background

Tourist Alert!!!
Sergio trying to be sneaky with his map at lunch

Awesome German lunch at Backöfele

Noch ein Foto? Natürlich!

This was on the girls' bathroom, a little Tater putting on makeup! :-)

Mmm mmm good!
In case anyone cares, I had Cordon Bleu mit Kroketten, und alles war sehr lecker!

Würzburger Residenz, 
which is a giant baroque palace built for the Prince-bishops of Würzburg.

Welcome home!

This place is amazing!  There are almost 400 rooms in this bad boy. 
The next time you find yourself in Würzburg, you have to take a guided tour!  

No photos allowed inside, mister!
Serge snuck this one in the Weißer Saal (White Hall). 
He loves how nervous I look, but I'm sorry, I don't like to break the rules! :-)

Don't look too happy, Serge.  There's no test afterwards, I swear!

There's that lovely smile! :-) Exploring the garden

The back of the Residenz

Thanks to the super nice Asian family for taking our picture!

mit dem Hofgarten

Yeah, I think I could live here.  
My favorite room was the Spiegelkabinett, which is made up entirely of painted mirrors.
It was destroyed during WWII (as was 90% of the town in only 17 minutes!), but they preserved a fragment of a painted mirror and completely recreated the room based on the old techniques and everything. It was gorgeous!

Kate & Liza! :-)

Walking across the Old Main Bridge at night, which was really neat because there is a wine bar (Main Wein) located right on the bridge, so people were out drinking wine and having a good time.
Käppele und Festung Marienberg are the bright buildings on the hill.

Würzburger Hofbräu, Serge and his 1L Heffemaß

My much more sensible 0,5 L
This picture is funny because my eye looks huge and after Serge took it I said, "I think I blinked." Umm nope, not even a little bit! :-)

Walking up to die Festung Marienberg the next day

Serge asked die Frau that took this picture of us if she wanted us to take one of her und ihr Mann, and she kind of looked at us funny and said, "Nein!"  Not sure if she thought we meant with our own camera ooorrrr if maybe that wasn't her guy or what... 
The Deutsch, God love 'em! :-)

Festung Marienberg

Meine Süßigkeit

I love me some Smart cars! :-)

Thanks to the pretty American lady with a southern accent wearing a jacket from Forever 21 for this photo! I definitely wanted to take her back to Wetzlar with me!

Exploring the Fortress

It was such a nice day!
Blue sky, where have you gone? All I see now is gray!


Türmchen

There are some great views of Würzburg from up here!
Those are vineyards in the distance.

Marienkapelle

Neumünster

in der Kirche

Dom St. Kilian

My future niece's first high heels!
This picture doesn't do these justice. They were tiny little heels for a (fashionable!) newborn baby.

We hung out at Café Michel people watching for quite a while. 
If you're a fan, there's some great people watching in this country!

Best Chai Latte I've ever had!

The Main River was really high.

Flooding

Walking back to the train station.
This girl conquered Würzburg!

And so did this guy!
Auf Wiedersehen, Würzburg! Bis bald!!

No comments:

Post a Comment