Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rome: Days 1 & 2

Serge and I spent last week in Rome, and it was AMAZING! We saw a ton of sights (ruins, churches, monuments, fountains, etc) and walked all over that city (10-15 miles a day! My feet have never been so sore in my life; by day 5 I was literally limping!) We also ate a ton of awesome pasta, pizza, and gelato and drank our fair share of wine, beer, and frothy cappuccinos, so it was good that we did so much walking! We took a bunch of pictures, so I'll be uploading them in separate posts. We had a great time enjoying la dolce vita, and we hope you enjoy our photos! :-)

Walking to the train station in Wetzlar, super excited!

I don't know if this guy has ever been as proud of me as he was when he saw how good of a packing job I did for this trip. I mean, I'm a girl, and I fit 6 days worth of winter clothes in a backpack that didn't cause him to tip over. You have to admit, that's pretty impressive! I've come a long way since our first weekend in Munich! And thanks, sweetheart for carrying that heavy bag!

View of Zurich from the plane

Lake Como, Italy
So we walked 20 minutes to the train station in Wetzlar, took the train to the Frankfurt Airport, flew to Rome's Fiumicino Airport, took a 30 minute train to the city center, and then Serge says, "You want to just walk to our hotel? It looks like it'll take half an hour." "Sure, why not?" I responded... well, I'll tell ya why not. Because Rome is gigantic, and what appears to take 30 minutes actually turned out to be an hour and a half. With our bags. And a super confusing map. BUT I didn't mind at all as soon as we got to the Pantheon! So here I am, exhausted but excited!

After we checked in and freshened up a little, we walked around the area near our hotel then went to dinner and drinks. Here I am in the Piazza Navona, just outside our hotel.

Enjoying a glass of Moscato d'Asti at Mimì e Cocò

Dinner at Grano

I was laughing about one of my favorite of Serge's childhood stories. Man, it's a good'un, but he probably doesn't want me to repeat it on here... So ask me about it later ;-)
But the reason I included this picture is because the woman behind me was part of this really loud British group, and the whole time they were talking about political issues and being rude, so Serge almost said something to them. We didn't realize it at the time, but they were also staying at our hotel. A couple days later we turned on CNN (since it's the only English channel we got), and we saw the woman and one of the men; they're CNN International anchors! Funny story! :-)

Tater in a candy store

Pantheon at night

And again with the full moon

Please look at how adorable my husband is, with his sweater tied around his waist and his little tennis shoes. I love it! Of course after I took this picture, he took the sweater off... :-)

Area Sacra di Largo Argentina

Trying to navigate using our German map that didn't include all the little streets was tough!

Serge's old ball and chain :-)

Italy makes me happy!

Circo Massimo

Walking around Trastevere

It was rainy this night, so we went to dinner and a movie. This picture is really dark, but this is us, super happy to be watching an English movie in a theater. We hadn't done that in over 4 months, and we really enjoyed it! It was like a little piece of home :-)

1 comment:

  1. Nice pics and nicely written! You really had a blast! :)Enjoyed the CNN-anchor story! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete